Your family is ready for a week at the beach to soak up some sun or a trip to the mountains to relax in the beauty of nature. Wherever you decide to go to create cherished family memories, feel confident that your home is protected and safe while you are away.
Include home security on your vacation countdown to-do list
You have your vacation packing list ready. You’ve got all the important gear like clothing, sunscreen, extra cash, medication, and tickets.
But have you thought about adding a home security audit to your vacation planner? When you know that your home is well-protected even when you are away, and you can monitor things from wherever you are in the world, that’s valuable peace of mind.
Homes are most likely to be broken into when:
- People are away (mail or deliveries are piling up, it looks like no one is home for days).
- There is no security system or security sign.
- It’s summertime.
- You rent your home.
- The bushes near the house are overgrown.
- Windows are left open.
- Windows or doors are unlocked.
- There is no dog present.
Most burglars look for an easy target. A place where they will likely not get caught, it’s easy to get in and out, and there may be valuable items inside they can sell. Often, they know their victims.
What level of home security does your home need?
With over a million home invasions in the United States each year, it’s important to understand your family’s needs so that you can protect your loved ones and your property.
Some security options to burglar-proof your home:
Door and window security
Most break-ins involve kicking in a door or breaking window glass. Doors without deadbolts, unsecured sliding glass doors, and homes with lots of easily accessible glass may be easier targets for would-be-intruders.
You can beef up your windows and doors to deter potential thieves with steps like:
Home window security
- You can make sure all windows have sturdy locks and install motion-sensors that connect to your security system or trigger an alarm. Other options include using window security cameras, reinforcing your window glass with security window film, or using motion-sensing floodlights around the exterior of the home for all windows and doors.
Home security doors
- The most effective doors for security are solid metal or solid wood doors with strong deadbolts.
- A smart doorbell camera will alert your cell phone when anyone is at your door whether you are home or in another country. You can see who is there. And with some doorbell cameras and security systems, you may even be able to let people in by unlocking your door remotely for packages or pet sitters. You can also see if someone is there to cause trouble and call the police immediately.
A home security system
One of the best ways to protect your home and family is to install a home security system. There are DIY models or there are more expensive types that are professionally installed.
Homes that do not have a security system are 300% more likely to be broken into than homes that do.
Even if you just have a home security sign in your front yard near the porch, your risk of having a break-in drops significantly. Most criminals don’t want to have to deal with the extra aggravation of a security system.
There are countless choices with home security systems today.
- Motion-sensing lights
- Smart door sensors
- Window/door alarms
- Flood monitoring
- Freeze sensors
- Smoke/carbon monoxide detectors that alert 911 if you have a problem
- Wireless driveway alarm
- Panic buttons
- Security cameras
- Video doorbells (some have two-way audio, motion detectors, wide-angle lenses, night vision, etc…)
- Baby monitors/cameras
- Wi-fi connected/wireless systems
- Smart home compatibility
- Smart hub
- Smart door locks
- Home weather stations
- Smart lightbulbs/lights (with timers)
- Smart thermostats
Home security systems
- Wired security systems
- Self-monitored home security systems
- Professionally monitored systems
Home security cameras
You can choose from almost anything you can imagine for cameras today. Be sure to check that anything you use outside is intended to be for outdoor use. Also, confirm that the field of view for the camera you choose is what you need.
Any of these can help deter potential thieves:
- Fake security cameras near entryways
- Hidden security cameras indoor/outdoor
- Solar-powered security camera
- Security camera without wifi
- Security camera with wifi
- Motion-detecting camera
- Night vision cameras
- 360 security camera
Contact your favorite security camera companies for pricing and availability.
What is the cost of a home security system?
If you are looking for affordable home security options, choose a self-monitored system with no monthly monitoring fee. All you will have to pay is the upfront equipment cost and any installation costs if you don’t install the system yourself.
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of installing a system yourself, you can pay for professional installation to be sure your security system is set up properly. Some systems are only available to be professionally installed.
Most home security systems run anywhere from about $100 to $1500 or more. Installation costs range from $200 to over $1600. And monthly fees can range from $10-$35 per month or more.
Think about your family’s home security needs as you design your custom home.
As you think about designing your dream home, be sure to consider what kinds of security and home automation systems you want to include. Home automation controls lighting, home theater/media, lighting, door locks, HVAC, and more.
Then your family can feel safe, secure, and at peace knowing they are well-protected and can enjoy the conveniences of a tech-savvy smart home.
Let us build your dream home and help you keep it safe and secure.
Blythe Building Company takes great pride in building gorgeous homes in areas like:
Lexington, Blythewood, Chapin, Irmo, Forest Acres, downtown Columbia, West Columbia, Pinewood, Ballentine, the Lake Murray area, and more.
Please contact us today!
9 Best Home Security Systems of 2021 by This Old House
How Would You Build Your Dream Custom Home?
Check out this rundown of things to weigh before you build your perfect dream home. Then you'll be ready to find the best home builders in Columbia, SC.
What Are the Benefits of Natural Light in a Custom Home Design?
There are many benefits of natural light in a home that boost mental, emotional, and physical health for everyone in the family.
Building a Custom Home So You Can “Age in Place”
One major advantage of building a custom home is you can design it to meet your needs now and way into the future if you include universal design.