Lexington, SC is one of the fastest growing areas in the state of South Carolina! Let's dig into why everyone wants to move here.
18 reasons people are flocking to Lexington, SC
There are so many reasons why people want to live here:
- Lexington 1 schools are some of the highest-rated in the state which keeps property values high.
- A very reasonable cost of living.
- Good jobs available in the area.
- A wide variety of conveniences, stores, and restaurants are close by.
- A favorite for families.
- A great place for young professionals.
- Low crime rate.
- Close to Lake Murray and the Saluda river.
- Numerous parks and recreation opportunities.
- Close to downtown Columbia for jobs, shopping, and activities.
- Lots of beautiful new housing developments where many new residents build their dream homes.
- A booming economy.
- This area has a higher median household income than many other areas in the state and in the Midlands.
- March 2019 cost of living index in Lexington: 87.1 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
- Riverbanks Zoo is ranked as the 7th top-rated zoos in the nation and is just 15-25 minutes or so from Lexington.
- The University of South Carolina has the largest student body size of any college or university in the state and it is located conveniently in the downtown Columbia area.
- South Carolina has mild winters and many sunny days each year, which makes Lexington a prime spot for retirees from colder climates.
- Property taxes are a bit higher to pay for the amazing Lexington 1 schools than in some other districts in the Midlands of SC, but they are still much lower than in some states further north.
Check out Niche for reviews on the town of Lexington.
Lake Murray photo credit Pete Salter https://www.petesalter.com/
How fast is Lexington, SC growing?
The census data shows that Lexington County is the fastest growing county in the Midlands of South Carolina. From 2010 through 2018, the county had an increase in population of 30,000, according to The State.
The town of Lexington, itself, is the center of some of the greatest levels of growth. The town is the largest one in the county of Lexington and is also the county seat. It leads the way in population growth in the county.
The Lexington 1 school district welcomes 500 new students each year, which is, essentially, an entire new school’s worth of students every single year. Parents want their children in the best school district in the area, and this is one is consistently at the top.
Businesses, new neighborhoods, and schools are thriving here in one of the fastest growing areas in South Carolina. It doesn’t look like it is going to slow down any time soon.
Population growth around Columbia, SC
Population estimates for the entire greater Columbia area are expected to continue to grow expansively. Some growth rate estimates for the future indicate that the entire Columbia metro area be home to a staggering 1 million residents by 2035. If that trend continues to 2050, the expected population may be 1.3 million, which would double the current population.
Are you interested in moving to the Lexington, SC area?
We’d love to see if we could be a good fit to help you with building the custom home of your dreams in the location of your dreams.
Our building locations include
Blythewood, Forest Acres, Lake Murray, downtown Columbia, West Columbia, Pinewood, Lexington, Irmo, Ballentine, Chapin, and more.
Why Does Everyone Want to Live in Lexington, SC?
The town of Lexington, SC is one of the fastest-growing areas in the state. It's one of the best neighborhoods to live in in the Columbia, SC area.
Custom Home Trends in Lexington for 2020
Wondering what the newest trends will be in 2020 for new homes?
Build on Your Own Lot in Lexington, SC
Find out why Lexington, SC is one of the most popular places for new home construction in the state of South Carolina!