Many people are eager to build a custom home this year with the housing inventory being so low in the pre-existing home market. If the new home building process is new to you, you probably have a lot of questions.
Some people feel that having a realtor is essential for building a custom home. Others say it’s optional. But which answer is right for you?
Do you need a real estate agent to help you build a custom home in SC?
In South Carolina, you don’t have to have a realtor if you are building a custom home. Most of the time, homeowners building new homes choose not to use a real estate agent for the building process.
However, there can be times when you may need or want one. For example, you probably want to find an agent to help you with buying a lot if you want to build a new home from scratch on your own land.
- Some home builders provide limited numbers of lots for clients to choose from, in which case you may not need a realtor at all.
- Others depend on buyers to build on their own lot that they have already purchased. In that case, you may opt for using an agent to help you with the lot and all the paperwork involved with it.
(Each state has its own laws, so be sure to check with your realtor or custom builder for the state where you want to build.)
There are other services a real estate agent might offer during the construction process, too.
A real estate agent could:
- Represent you to the builder (especially if you don’t have a builder you trust or you are out of town a lot).
- Work with the builder for you and negotiate on your behalf during the home build.
- Advise you on the home design process about how your home design and floor plan can fit in with the rest of the neighborhood or area.
- Discuss the resale value of various potential finishes and selections in your home as you design your home in case you need to sell it in the future.
- Help with filing paperwork and going over contracts.
- Assist upon closing or with your construction loan if needed.
- Give feedback to prevent you from spending too much on upgrades that may not pay off at resale for your home construction.
It’s important to remember that while a real estate agent can advise about resale value, agents are not architects or interior designers. And they are not builders. For design, blueprints, engineering issues, or building concerns, check with the other professionals on your build team.
It’s ultimately up to you to decide if you think a real estate agent would be a good fit for your new home build. But it's not a requirement here in South Carolina to use one.
Ask your custom builder or realtor for more details. Often, you can just use the builder’s representative if you already have your lot. But if you prefer to also have your own representation, you may generally do so.
Ready to Build a New House on Your Own Lot in the Lexington, SC area?
At Blythe Building Company, we often have a few lots for you to choose from in Lexington, SC if you are ready to build a luxury home.
But most of the time buyers use a realtor to help them find the lot and location of their dreams first. Then they come to us to help them build their dream home.
Please contact us today!
Check out our gallery of beautiful, cutting-edge custom homes.
We build in Lexington, Ballentine, Chapin, around Lake Murray, West Columbia, Pine Ridge, downtown Columbia, Lake Carolina area, and more.
Our Latest Feature
Also, be sure to see our work featured in the international luxury builder's magazine, Modern Home Builders!
How Long Does Building a House Typically Take?
It's important to have a general idea of your home building timeline before you commit to build a new home.
What Are the Hassles of Home Building?
While some hassles are unavoidable, others may be sidestepped if you have the right knowledge and a great team of trusted home builders working with you.
Top Six Reasons to Choose a Custom Home Builder
Why should you consider a custom builder when you evaluate area home builders?